In this article, I will explain everything about bunion and coding of bunion surgery procedures (bunionectomies) important for AAPC coding Exam 2017. Go through the article, practice CPC exam questions and post your queries in comments section at the end of article.
Bunion or Halux Valgus
What is BUNION :
Halux – great toe
Valgus – angulation of toe away from the midline
- Bursa formed along the medial aspect of great toe.
- Enlargement of bone or tissue around the joint at the bottom of the big toe (known as the metatarsaophalangeal joint).
- It forms when your big toe pushes against your next toe, forcing joint of big toe to get bigger and stick out.
- Wearing tight, narrow shoes might cause bunions or make them worse
- Bunions also can result of an inherited structural defect.
- Stress on your foot or medical condition, such as arthritis.
What is Bunionectomy :
- Surgery to excise all the parts of bunion that involves removing soft tissue, tendones and bone and may also involve reallining the toe joint.
Types of Bunionectomy procedures:
- There are different types of Bunionectomy procedures and it is very imprtant to know the type of procedure performed to select correct CPT code.
- Some common bunion procedures includes:
- Reverse Austin ,
- Reverdin-Green and
- Hohmann procedures,
- Akins procedures / phalanx osteotomy procedures.
- The most commonly performed bunionectomy procedures are the Austin and Akin procedures.
Must Visit this site for more information : http://www.surgerybunion.com/ Continue reading How to Code Bunionectomy