70-year-old had fallen breaking her jaw. She has had difficulty eating after having her jaw wired. Her doctor ordered a stationary parenteral nutrition infusion pump for her TPN. A seven day supply of a parenteral home mix nutrition supply kit was also given. What HCPCS Level II codes are reported?
- B9000, B4220 x 7
- B9004, B4222
- B9006, B4222 x 7
- B9006, B4172
Answer – B9006, B4222 x 7
A patient has an insulin pump of 100 units. The pump is filled. Which code reports the supply?
- J1815 x 20
- J1817 x 2
Answer – J1817 x 2
In order to use the critical care codes, which of the following statements is TRUE?
- Critical care services can be provided in an internist’s office
- Critical care services provided for more than 15 minutes but less than 30 minutes should be billed with 99291 and modifier 52.
- Time spent reviewing laboratory test results or discussing the critically ill patient’s care with other medical staff in the unit or at the nursing station on the floor cannot be included in the determination of critical care time.
- Critical care services are never reported with endotracheal intubation (31500)
- Physician can provide services to another patient during the same time providing critical care services to a critically ill patient
Answer – Physician can provide services to another patient during the same time providing critical care services to a critically ill patient
Which of the following statements regarding advanced beneficiary notices (ABN) is TRUE?
- ABN must specify only the CPT® code that Medicare is expected to deny.
- Generic ABN which states that a Medicare denial of payment is possible, or the internist is unaware whether Medicare will deny payment or not is acceptable.
- An ABN must be completed before delivery of items or services are provided.
- An ABN must be obtained from a patient even in a medical emergency when the services to be provided are not covered.
Answer – An ABN must be completed before delivery of items or services are provided.
Which of the following services are covered by Medicare Part B?
- Inpatient chemotherapy
- Minor surgery performed in a physician’s office
- Routine dental care
- Assisted living facility
Answer – Minor surgery performed in a physician’s office